Monday 1 April 2013

April Fool

As usual, I've fallen for the charms of the well-known super hero Mr. Procrastinator. He's helped me discover that April is NaPoWriMo (National Poetry Writing Month) and that the challenge is to write - or at least to make available - a poem a day!

So, as a longtime closet writer of poetry, I think it may be time to refine some poems and write some new ones.

It will also tie in with something else I was considering which was the Stephen Spender Trust's competition for translating poetry, again something that I have been doing for years. Aged seventeen I actually had one of what one of the judges thought was my "impressive dossier" of Catullan poems published. Unfortunately, what's impressive for a teenager may not be when you've doubled the years on your clock!

So, with enthusiasm rather than expertise and a host of things to avoid doing, as well as periods in April when I'll be able to write a poem a day but not post them daily, here I go...

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment